Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Impending doom

I must admit, I have never been this productive during summer vacations in all my years. Not only did I finish five books, I also completed a month long internship at HRCP (remind me to comment in detail about that), I won an MUN (yes yes everyone there was at least 5 years my junior), I'm helping the flood affectees through a joint collaboration of the British Council, Faces Pakistan and NCIDE (okay fine not really helping but it's the intention that counts). Also, I'm cooking round chupatees and cutting aloo chips everyday. Quite something for a mere two and a half months?
I will not comment about the flood because a) everyone is doing that and b) I'm not very sad anymore because now I'm doing something for them and c) stress kills.
The books I've read are ones no one really cares about. So I will refrain from commenting on them. I will list them regardless. 1) Wretched of the Earth by Fanon 2) Selected writings of Che 3) Selected writings of Shaheed Bhagat Singh 4) Aam Fiqri Mughaltay. Wait! that's four. I went out the other day and spent bloody Rs 1500 on books (why do we write RS or $ first but pronounce it after the amount?).
The internship at The Human Rights Commission went well. Except, I had to explain to my family what HRCP is. 'Wo jahan Asma Jahangir kaam kerti hein'. and the reply 'oh. wo kisi ka ghar basana nai chahti'. Yeah err. Anyway for the first time in my short and adventure less life, I met a foreigner. Man I've never even met an Indian before. lol. He was Guatemalan. I was inside a cramped room in the basement with him all the time. Then I found out he has a girl friend. Anyway that place, just like everywhere else, was filled with elitist bimbos. While a few of us went to the mess and ate aloo with daal, they ordered in McDonald's. Stupid. I gave my presentation yesterday and it went very well. So that's over and done with.
I'm collecting old newspapers these days. We'll sell them and give that money to the flood affectees. Yes go ahead and laugh. You won't be laughing when we'll be swimming in hundreds of rupees of radee money. No seriously, If you have any, give it to me. I want to win a certificate for most radee collected.
My college starts from the 23rd. On a scale of 1 to 10 of disgust, 10 being the highest, I am definitely feeling a 9 and a half. You ask why. Well here's why. Once upon a time, Kinnaird college hired only teachers with the maximum size of the brain being equal to a peanut. Brain sizes ranging from a grain of sand to a poppy seed were in special demand. Then the principal changed and the new policy demanded that the teachers should at least be homo-sapians. Now the roasted pistachio brains couldn't let that happen so they started a revolt and after false accusation and involvement of thugs, got the principal removed. All this happened last year. So now, on the 23rd, we'll welcome our new principal, who I've heard suffers from sex deprivation. Good luck to me. What awaits is a ban on mobile phones, gate timings as late as 2:30 pm, lesser independent thinking and maybe even shiny white uniforms with head scarves.

No comments: